Please write here:

Safranbolu » Tourism at Safranbolu

TOURISM AT SAFRANBOLU
 
  Safranbolu is known as Paphlagonia at ancient term. Its history dates back to 3000’s BC and the exact date ofsettlement in the city of Safranbolu is unknown.Gasgas, Hittites, Cimmerians, Lydians, the Persians, the Hellenistic Kingdoms, the Romans, Byzantine, the Seljuk, Cobanogluları, Candarogulları and Ottomans had ruled the city. Safranbolu was conquered by the Turks, at the period of Muhittin Mesut Shah, son of Kılıc Arslan II Seljuk Sultan. Since 1423, it has also entered the dominion of the Ottomans.Safranbolu was an important place to accommodate and to exchange goods on Sinop-Gerede-İstanbul artery of commerce in 17th century, it continued to preserve its importance and considered asthe back garden of the palace of the Ottoman,It is known that many Grand Viziers and officers lived in here and there were a lot of people from Safranbolu in the palace as official.
  Safranbolu is a renownedquality city with its traditional Turkish houses which are good examples of civil Ottoman architecture, natural beauty and historical dimension.
Safranbolu pictures all characters of traditional Turkish society life and saves created historical culturel heritage as a model city. Having rich culturel heritage succes rises Safranbolu to prominence and listed by UNESCO in ‘World Heritage List’. There are nearly 3000 culturel and natural heritage in Safranbolu which are in protected about 50000 culturel and natural heritage in whole country. This richness of the city has become a museum city, protectionism success has given the title ‘capital of protection’.
Safranbolu houses that make up the city‘s reputation has developed with 18th and 19th centruies Turkish life’s past, culture, economy, technology and mirror of life style architectural intelligence. There are about 2000 traditional Turkish houses. From these houses nearly 800 are under legal protection.
Safranbolu with 5000 years of history had hosted many civilization and has reached today as a culturel richness. Especially OTTOMAN–ERA’s inn, baths, mosque, fount, bridge and unique mansions are admirable for guests. With publishing Safranbolu as a protected area from High Council of Immovable Monuments, starting as an academic interest to the city, has got beyond country’s borders with time.
 
  NAMES OF SAFRANBOLU (Safranbolu İsimleri)
  Safranbolu’s first name which was known Dadybra in Byzantian period. It was later called Zalifre in 1196 in Seljuk period. Its name was changed to Borglu and Borlu  at the beginning ofthe Ottomans and emirates period. Borlu has been become due toTaraklıborlu of the Taraklı Tribe, which settled in the region from the records of the Ottoman title deed and land registration. After the name of Taraklıborlu, the other names which used in the Ottoman period; Zağfiran-ı Borlu in the middle of the 18th century, Zağfiran-ı Benderli for short time in the half of the 19th century, Zağfiranbolu in the last quarter of the 19th century, and it was changed to Zafranbolu and Safranbolu after 1940’s.
 
  SAFRANBOLU HOUSES
  When Safranbolu is mentioned, the first thing that comes to our mind is Safranbolu houses which is living its all glory today and brings Safranbolu fame in Turkey and all around the world. Houses reflect all features of civil Ottoman architactural. There are approximately 2000 traditional Turkish houses at the center of the town which built during 18th 19th and at the beginning of 20th centuries.1000 of those houses are under legal protection. Houses are grouped at two seperate region of Safranbolu. There is a part which is known as ‘city’ and was used as winter residence. The other one is known as ‘Bağlar’ and was used as summer residence. Safranbolu houses mostly  were constructed near the valleys which are not arable and designed in order not to hamper one another’s sunshine and view. The people of the area live in city center in winter and when the weather gets warmer they move to the summer house.  Trade and production continues at ‘Çarşı’ in summer as well.Dailylife continues in the city, transport which is provided in between home and street style is made for cobblestone pavements.Existingpavementroads are enduring to flood and reduces humidity.
 
  Traditional houses in Safranbolu  are mostly 3 floors, 6 or 8 rooms.  Houses designed for convenience of people living in it. Every room is designed to meet needs of the family. There are cupboards, called ’yüklük’ shelves, furnaces and sofas in every room. In each room consists the wardrobes and they are used for ablution like today’s shower cabins. The another details in Safranbolu houses are wooden decorated. Safranbolu houses don’t uniformity due to the overhang. The number of narrow and long windows differs according to size of the room and they are covered with wooden cages called ‘muşabak’. Some ofthe houses have pools for coolness andin order to protect against fire. Generally stone is used downstairs, adobe is used upstairs, and tiles in the Ottoman style are used in roofs. The floor of the entrance is called ’Hayat’ (life), if it is stone it is called ‘taşlık’ (made of stone).
 
  SAFFRON
  Saffron flower,who gave its name to city and the top quality in the flower of the saffron is grown in Safranbolu, is a rare plant that has the title of world's most expensive spice. Saffron can dye a fluid 100.000(one hundred thousand) times its own weight. It’s used pharmacy, cosmetic, and food industry. For half kilogram saffron, 80 thousand of flowers are need.The usable part of saffron is the seeds of its flower so that it is very difficult to grow. It is as expensive as gold.
 
  It is planted in August-September and it blooms at the end of November and in December. Saffron flowers must be collected fast before sunrise because flowers, which bloom only 1 week during harvest term, wither under sunlight in a day.
 
 
  TURKISH SAFFRON DELIGHT
  If you come to Safranbolu you should taste the world-famous Turkish delight. Safranbolu delight is different from the others because it’s less sweater and more lighter. Thehardness of water which  in terms of being rich-mineral and used natural sugar distinguish  to our delight .It is made various types of Turkish delight in the city; coconut, hazelnut, double blasted, saffron, gum drops and with rose.If you order daily Turkish delight, it is sentto all over the Turkey.
 
 
  SAFRANBOLU GRAPE ( ÇAVUŞ )
  Popular and widespread in the area, Çavus Grape is another famous product of Safranbolu. It’s continuedto be grown as an active in Safranbolu Yazıköy and it’s usually used for culinary.Çavuş grapesare being harvested each year in September with vintage celebrations.
 
 
 
  LOCAL CULINARY
  It’s possible to see specific types of Safranbolu’s food, like Bükme, Perohi, All the Meat Meal, Koruklu Etli Bamya, Long and Slice Green Beans, Keşkek, Zerde with Saffron as well as types of rich food of traditional Turkish cuisine  like Su Böreği, Macaron (cimcük),Yayım (erişte), Haluşka, Höşmerim, Cevizli Çörek, Kiren (cranberrywater), Baklava, Kadayıf.
 
 
  CITY HISTORY MUSEUM  (OLD GOVERNMENT BUILDING)
  The old government building which inspired of painter’s drawing, making the difference with architectural beauty, overlooking to the city such as the yellow color of the sun. It was built on the hill called as castle in 1904 by the initiative of Kastamonu Governor Enis Pasha and town administrator Ahmet Bey. Thebuilding which made of cut stone consists of 3 floors together with ground. Throughout its history the building was used for military, administrative and judical management purposes.Theresult of a fire completely burned down on January 19, 1976.TheOldGovernmentBuilding,completedits restoration by the Ministry ofCultureandTourism currently is used as a cultural center and museum. Itis open to visitorsevery day exceptMondays.
 
 
  CLOCK TOWER
  The clock tower, located in Safranbolu Castle where the time stopped, announces voice of the old time although the passing time. It was built by İzzet Mehmet Pasha who was the Grand Vizier of Selim III in 1797. The plan of the building of Clock Tower located on Kale is square and its clock work without spring. It was imported from London. It is open to visit within the museum and Mr.Ismail ULUKAYA has been working as volunteer guide to give information about the clock for 50 years.
 
 
  OLD PRISON BUILDING
  Old prison building where located on castle was built in 1906 by Sultan Abdülhamit II and used as prison until 1990’s. After its restoration accomplished in 2005, it was opened as cafe-restaurant.
 
 
  HIDIRLIK HILL
  You feel yourself in history. Hıdırlık hill where you can see respectfull, magnificent houses is a place where the Turks settled when they had come to Safranbolu. Houses in Safranbolu never block the view of each others and you can see clearly this character of houses from Hıdırlık Hill. It was used as an open- air public prayer place. Prayer for rain and celebrations for Hıdırellez are held here. The district governor of Köstendil Hasan Pasha’s tomb (1845), two open –airprayer places, Hızır Pasha’ s grave and mausoleum of Dr. Ali Yaver Ataman who was one of the heroes of the war of independence (1955) on the hill. There are two different points to enter and exit the hill.
 
 
  OLD TANNERY
  Tannery in where junction area of Akçasu and Gümüş creek at the lower end of Çarşı was runned until the end of the 90’s. it has been inactive now. Small mosque of tannery, ruined tannery building and preserved two workshop are the last witnesses of the past.
 
 
  BLACKSMITHS’ BAZAAR
  Blacksmiths bazaar is the only living guild located on Akçasu canyon behind the İzzet Mehmet Pasha mosque. Hot and Cold iron workmanship is stil going on. Beside this, coppersmith work also still continues in bazaar.
 
  MANSION OF MEKTEPCILER
  It was accomplished in 1786 -1787. Mansion of Mektepçiler known as Safranbolu Madrasah is one of the oldest building of Safranbolu. It was bought by the Ministry of Culture and its’ usage rights was attached  District of  Safranbolu.It was opened as Suha Arın Culture and Art Center arranged by Safranbolu Municipality. You can see the personal goods belongings to the famous film director Suha ARIN who died in 2004 and took award of Golden Orange with documentary film ;‘Time in Safranbolu’ in 1976 and tools used in the shooting of the documentary film. For documentary lovers, Suha Arın Culture and Art Center which was turned into the museum house with contributions of District of Safranbolu, Safranbolu Municipality and his brother, Reha ARIN, is opened to visit on between the hours of 09: 00 -16.00 at the weekend
 
 
  TURING MANSION OF HAVUZLU (POOL) ASMAZLAR
   It is one of the first restorated house of Safranbolu and it is located in Beybağı place in Çarşı. It is exploited by TURING. There is a big pool  for the purpose of giving coolness and fire protection within the mansion which was built in 19th century. Now it has been used as otel and restaurant.
 
  Also the other mansion in Beybağı is mansion of pool Asmazlar ofİsmail Hakkı-Mustafa Saffet whichwas built in 1830. It is completely original and it hasn’t been restorated yet. It is a rarity house which is living   together with  7th and 8th generation.You can visit it which existed pool on the first floor by obtaining permission in advance.
 
  IZZET MEHMET PASHA MOSQUE
  The mosque was built in 1796 by Grand Vizier İzzet Mehmet Pasha. It is like a small modal of Nuruosmaniye Mosque in İsatnbul The mosque was  built completely by the cut stones. The place for workship is square-shaped and the dimension is 13.5 m. The niches and the high estrades are very rich.There is a sultan’s signature on niche. There are a library, an ablution, two fountains and the shops of the foundation in complex. Its courtyard and minaret have been built on arches over the river.
 
 
  KOPRULU MEHMET PASHA MOSQUE
  It is square shaped and covered with a dome which was built in 1661 by Grand Vizier Köprülü Mehmet Paşha  in quarter of Çeşme. The octagonal hoop over which the dome is placed, is supported by props from outside. There is also a final workship place of five divisions and covered by cradle vaults. There is a single-galleried minaret at the right side of the entrance. Engraving has been seen belonging to young period in mosque. There are “muvakkithane” (Library and building used as Clock-Room built), ”Şadırvan”(foundation for ablution), ”sun-dial” in the courtyard of the mosque
 
 
  SUN-DIAL
  Sun-Dial is located courtyard of Köprülü Mehmet Pasha Mosque. This clock is classified among the simple horizontal sun dials. It was placed on stone column and marble. It shows the time between 6.40 a.m. and 5.20 p.m according to the shadow of the metal plate. It’s supposed to be built in the middle of the 19th centuries.
 
 
  YEMENICILER BAZAAR
  Yemeniciler bazaar where you can sit in coffeehouse and buy souvenirs and handicraft productswas built in 1661 for the purpose of yielding revenue to Köprülü Mehmet Pasha Mosque adjoining to the bazaar by charitable fund of the mosque. It is a old guild bazaar where located of small 48 wooden shops and handmade  leather shoes called  “Yemeni” were made. Word of the ‘guild’ means people who do the same job gathered together in. Therefore, it is called as Yemeniciler bazaar.
 
 
  HISTORICAL CITY HALL
  Old municipal service building was built in 1923 and it dealed out until 1995. It was restorated in 2005. It is used as Directorate of Cultural and Social Affairs of Safranbolu Municipality and International Golden Saffron Documentary Film Festival Secretariat.
 
 
  CINCI HAN (INN) and CINCI HAMAM (TURKISH BATH)
  Cinci Han which is one of the most improved models of the Otoman inn architecture was built in 1640–1648 by Cinci Hodja (Keçecizade Hüseyin Efendi ) who became a Anatolian Kazasker after ascension of Sultan İbrahim in 1640. It was made of cut and ruble stones.. It has two storeys and 62 rooms. it is supposed that it was built by Mr. Kasim,an architecture, the chief architect of the period. There has no been found any document, architectural project related with the construction of the inn. It was built with the experience and manual skill of the artisans who were brought up as 'devsirme'. The entrance door, the lock and the key of the Cinci Han are examples of the Turkish iron workmanship. After its restoration, Cinci Han is used as otel and restaurant.
 
Cinci Bath was built in 1645 by Cinci Hodja. It is located in Çeşme Quarter of historical centre. There are women and men part of Turkish bath which covered with dome. Ithas departments of its cold, hot, boiler room under a Turkish bath, stoveparts and it is still runned.
 
 
  KAZDAGLI MOSQUE
  Kazdağlıoğlu Mosque that meet you in historical center and give its name to the square was built in 1779 by chief man of Borlu, Kazdağlı, Mehmet Ağa. Its single cupola is made of stone and brick and its roof was covered with tile. Its minaret made of brick.
 
 
 
 
  KACAK (LUTFIYE ) MOSQUE
  It’s in the quarter of Akçasu of Çarşı. It was built in the narrowest part of Akçasu Stream by constructing arches. The mosque built in 1880 by Hagia Hüseyin Hüsnü has been an integral with coffee house and school that built upper floor of the coffee house.
 
 
  ULU MOSQUE
  It is the old church remaining by Greeks in Kıranköy district of city center. It is known that built as wood on its inscription in 515 A.C The old church, Hagia Stefanos has been renovated and repaired many times until now. Recently, İt was re-repaired in 1872 and it was turned the mosque by constructing a minaret. The historical building that used as mosque forms an interesting complex with around the Skalion School (1863) and the Mansion of the Priest .
 
 
  BULAK (MENCILIS) CAVERN
  Bulak cavern which enters the world cavern literature is the second largest of the Black Sea Region and the fourth largest cavern of Turkey. The Bulak Cavern is the northwest of the center of the city where the village of Bulak of Karabük is formed a boundary with Safranbolu. The cave formed 65 – 200 million years ago from present day is 8 km far from the center of Çarşı. It is 6042 m. long and the first 400 meter of the cavern is open to visitors so Bulak cavern is the longest of the cavern of Turkey opened to tourism. The cavern has two entrances. The first entrance is from the inlet where the water flows. The second active entrance is, entered to in a fossil mouth which ascends a stairs located to behind the entrance on left of the hill.
 
 
  INCEKAYA AQUEDUCT and TOKATLI CANYON
  It was built at the end of 18th.century by İzzet MehmetPasha. It is northeast of Safranbolu and It’s 8 km away from Çarşı center. İt is reached to the water aqueduct over Bağlar district, Gayza village road. It is 60 m above the ground and 116 m long. It is 110 – 220 cm width. The water known as ‘Pasha water’ were distributed to the fountains of the city by water gauge where is located in garden of the Mansion of Havuzlu Asmazlar in Beybağı.
  Tokatlı Canyon hosting to the İncekaya Aqueduct presents unique beauties to nature lovers. Ponds, falls, bridges and 2 km of walking route were constructed in the canyon going down the stairs from area where is below the aqueduct.
 
 
  YORUK VILLAGE
  When going to direction of 11 km. from Safranbolu to Kastamonu it is reached to historical Yörük village established ages ago by Hüseyin who is the eldest of 3 brothers coming to from Karakeçili tribal of Kayı branch. This village has been taken under protection in 1997 by the Ministry of Culture due to the a genuine Turkish -Turkmen village., The houses in museum village taken to under protection of 131 historical building are constructed along the main street and as adjacent instead of house clustering in the village of Anatolia in general. Mansion of Sipahioğlu and old village laundry which is located in the village and turned into museum  are among the worth seeing places.
 
  TUMULUSES
  There are 32 tumuluses and 4 mounds in Safranbolu and its around. 24 of those tumuluses are located between Safranbolu and Eflâni. Büyük Göztepe in Gümüş quarter of Safranbolu, Kocatepe in Konarı village, Küçük Göztepe in Barış quarter, Özenler and Değirmenciler in Yolbaşı village, Keten in Yukarı Çiftlik village arethe most important tumuluses of the region. Tumulus is a mound which made up by spreading soil containing a grave and graveyard.
 
 
  CANYONS
  Safranbolu was established an area where joined of wide valley thus the geological aspect of Safranbolu shows the difference. Tokatlı  and  İncekaya canyons  8 km far away from center of Çarşı and Gümüş and Akçasu canyons in Çarşı(historical area) Düzce (Kirpe) and Sakaralan canyons where is located in the entrance of Düzce village and 13 km far away from Safranbolu in the direction of Kastamonu are unique places for nature lovers.
 
 
  ROCK TOMBS
  There are many rock tombs belonging to Rome period about Gündoğan,  Üçbölük, Hacılarobası and Çavuşlar village on Safranbolu-Kastamonu highway. Four of the most important of these are located in Hacılarobası village and five of these are located in Üçbölük village.


Twin Cities of Safranbolu

Read More

Safranbolu Houses

Read More

Saffron Flower

Read More

Turkish Delight With Saffron

Read More

Design / Software Armina Yazılım
safranbolu, safranbolu belediyesi, Safranbolu Municipality